SALAD NIÇOISE Print
- Active Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 medium shallot, minced
- 1/2 tbsp minced fresh thyme leaves
- 1 tbsp minced fresh basil leaves
- 1 tsp minced fresh oregano leaves
- 1/2 tsp Dijon mustard
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 grilled 8oz tuna steak, or 2 cans tuna
- 3 hard-boiled eggs, peeled and halved
- 5 small potatoes, scrubbed, quartered
- Salt and pepper
- 1 medium head butter lettuce
- 2 small ripe tomatoes, sliced
- 1/2 small red onion, sliced very thin
- 4 ounces green beans, halved
- 1/8 cup sliced ripe olives
*If using tuna steak, marinate in a little olive oil for an hour. Heat a large skillet on medium high heat, or place on a hot grill. Cook the steak 2 to 3 minutes on each side until cooked through. Cut tuna into 1/2-inch thick slices, coat with vinaigrette.
Whisk lemon juice, oil, shallot, thyme, basil, oregano, and mustard in medium bowl; season to taste with salt and pepper and set aside.
Bring potatoes and 3 quarts cold water to boil in a large pot. Add 1 tablespoon salt and cook until potatoes are tender, 5 to 8 minutes. Drain, and toss warm potatoes with 1/8 cup vinaigrette; set aside. *Use slotted spoon to save boiled water for next step.
Return water to boil; add 1 tablespoon salt and green beans. Cook until tender but crisp, 3 to 5 minutes. Drain beans, transfer to reserved ice water, and let stand until just cool, about 30 seconds; dry beans well. Toss beans, 3 tablespoons vinaigrette, and salt and pepper to taste
Meanwhile, toss tomatoes, red onion, 1 1/2 tablespoons vinaigrette, and salt and pepper to taste in bowl. Lay bed of lettuce on a serving platter, and arrange tomato-onion mixture, potatoes, green beans, hard-boiled eggs, olives, and tuna on top.
Drizzle remaining 2 tablespoons dressing, and serve immediately.
By Romantic Reminders